Tips for Staying Away from Nail Biting
We come across many, who are addicted to nail biting. Although this addiction does not result in any serious harm to our health like other forms of addiction, often people develop skin problems due to this bad habit. Besides that by putting the nails in our mouth we are transferring the debris and dirt stored in them directly into the mouth. Here, we have offered some useful tips for getting rid of the addiction of nail biting.
- This tip is particularly for women having the habit of nail biting. Groom the fingernails well and keep them painted. If you find that nails are looking prettier, you might not feel like spoiling their appearance by biting them.
- Application of thick creams on the cuticles can also help you stay away from biting the nails. This should be done at least twice every day, once after bath and once after coming back from work. The thick cream must be massaged gently on the cuticle of each of your fingers. Wait until the cream is absorbed well. Repeating this daily will make your fingers look healthier and groomed which may encourage you to stay away from biting your nails.
- Get acrylics placed on your nails; majority of the nail salons offer this service. Nails with acrylic placed on them look extremely attractive. Besides that, you will not be able to bite them as they are very rigid and hard.
- Wearing coated rubber bands on any one wrist. Whenever you feel like biting your nails and start moving your hand towards your mouth, snap those rubber bands in a way that you feel the stinging sensation. This is one of the most effective aversion therapies for getting rid of the nail biting habit.
- If all the above remedies fail to give you’re the desired result, you must look for professional help. First, speak to your general physician; after noting down your problems and analyzing them he might suggest you to visit a psychological counselor.